After watching a video this evening about how to make your own Big Mac at home I decided to share the recipe I found with everyone. I have two reasons for this: one, it is many times less expensive to make your favourite dishes from home, but two is more personal: I am deathly allergic to onions. Making it at home and leaving out the onions, especially from the special sauce, allows me to both live and enjoy an old favourite. Find this and other recipes. Follow the youtube channel for this really good cooking series.
1 sesame seed hamburger bun
half of an additional hamburger bun
1/4 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon Big Mac Special Sauce (see below)
1 teaspoon finely diced onion
1/2 cup chopped lettuce
1 slice American cheese
2 to 3 dill pickle slices
1. With a serrated knife, cut the top off the extra bun half, leaving about a 3/4inch thick slice. This will be the middle bun of your sandwich
2. Place the three bun halves on a hot pan or griddle, face down, and toast them to a light brown. Set aside, but keep the pan hot.
3. Divide the ground beef in half and press into two thin patties slightly larger than the bun.
4. Cook the patties in the hot pan over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Salt and pepper lightly. Build the burger in the following stacking order from the bottom up:
half of Big Mac Special Sauce*
half of onion
half of lettuce
beef patty middle bun
remainder of Big Mac Special Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons French dressing
4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon finely minced white onion
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well.
2. Place sauce in a covered container and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight, so that the flavors blend. Stir the sauce a couple of times as it chills.
Makes about 3/4 cup.